Wednesday 30 July 2008

Shopping and Pie

It's been a rather busy couple of days here at the ranch.

Yesterday I went off in search of flexible ice-cube trays for putting puree in as it is not proving practical using pots as I don't have enough of them nor a big enough freezer to be able to do the kind of variety I want. I also decided that I wanted to get some individual pie bowls as I thought my steak and ale pie would work better if it was made in a bowl rather than being just meat on a plate with a piece of pastry placed on-top.

I headed out to Oxford St. and left Edward behind as it's easier without him. I went in a few shops comparing prices and availability before getting the ice cube trays from House of Frasier and then a rolling pin, potato masher and pie-bowls from John Lewis where I was helped by a rather crazy shop assistant who spent about fifteen minutes telling me all about her Swarovski Crystal animal collection... quite how she managed to get from 'Where are the ice-cube trays?' to that remains beyond me!


I then headed home via la supermarche where I got the ingredients though I had to phone Luke and get him to come and carry it home as it was too heavy as I bought lots of heavy vegetables!

When I got in I started the cooking as Steak and Ale pie has to cook for hours in order to be any good, it was quite exciting as this time not only did I have my fantastic new bowls but I was also using a new type of ale, specifically BADGER Ale!!!


Anyone who knows me knows I have something of a mild on-running love of badgers, I think it began with my Sylvania's and was cemented during the days I played a character called Gem who owned a war badger rather fittingly called Baddie who in one particular fight managed to kill a guard single handedly by biting him in the nuts!

Not long into the cooking Aaron arrived, followed a while later by Chris and Andy. It was lovely to see them as they haven't been over since our last pie night, personally I would have cooked something different but I was overwhelmed with demands for pie that I could not refuse.

We had actually been trying to arrange this dinner for a while but given a variety of factors we kept having to cancel until it got to the point that Andy was having 'Homer in the land of Chocolate' style dreams of pie, and Chris was becoming concerned that Andy may actually mistake him for a piece of ale dripped steak and eat him in the night!

We all sat down to eat (minus Aaron who had to go and pick up some stuff) and we ate lots and it was tasty and we had fairy cakes for puddings for which Luke made some very questionable looking icing that not too surprisingly only he and I ate. The boys all then played Call of Duty 4 together (which they had been doing before dinner too) until it was time for Chris and Andy to go home to bed as it was a school night. All in all very good fun!!

The rest of the evening wasn't so great as Edward was unwell and crying, we had to have him in the bed with us in the end and it took him a long time to settle and he woke frequently in the night. However come the morning he'd cheered up and was clearly feeling better and so I took him out with me, I also wanted to give Luke a chance to sleep as he did most of the night-care.

Today I had lots to do that involved running around town quite a bit. Firstly I had to go to the Library which is over by Paddington, I then had get my Freedom Pass done which also involved getting passport photos though thankfully there was a machine there though it cost £4.20!!

After that Edfart and I headed to Camden as I wanted to get a video I have, of a very old version of 'The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe' that Fleur, Shellie and I used to watch as kids transferred to DVD as a wedding present for Fleur, however sadly in the month or so since I was last there the shop has closed ARGH!!! Serves me right for not being more organised and getting it done sooner, though thankfully later Luke managed to find it on Amazon hurrah!

I then headed to Oxford St. as I realised that I didn't really have a bag that I could use this weekend that is a) big enough and b) able to sling over Edward's buggy. So lots of mooching and shopping and a spot of lunch later I came home with a FANTASTIC huge zebra bag, lots of clothes for Luke some new bedding (as I'm bored of what we have) some shoes to go with my dress for the wedding and a belt...hurrah for Primark :o)

This evening has been pretty laid back, I spent a few hours making a card for Fleur as I decided it would be gorgeous to do a tree with paper leaves all individually sewn on, it is pretty, but not something that could ever go into mass production I don't think haha!

Edward started feeling unwell again late in the evening and we had some more tears and lots of snot, so I've given him lots of cuddles and milk and hope that tonight he makes it through the night in his own bed and that he feels a lot better tomorrow.

Obviously things will be quiet the next few days, but I shall return with pictures of the wedding and lots of lovely stories I'm sure :o)

1 comment:

diddyangel said...

Hope you have a lovely time this weekend at the wedding we're off to a wedding on sunday too :) Hope Edward feels beter soon, Abi got one of her last back teeth coming through and is in real pain with it has a snotty nose with it too so know what you're going through. Thank god Ed is off work! Sending big hugs x x x