Monday 21 July 2008

Postpals

I've had a rather flat week, after coming home from Bertie sitting I felt pretty rough for most of the week and the weather wasn't that great either so I didn't feel very inspired to go out and do anything. I was kind of annoyed with myself about that as before my admission I'd done so well at finding activities to go and do as well as making friends with my various mummy-chummys.

I think part of the problem was me worrying about university, I had spoken to my tutor about it and she had given me the time-table. After my initial cockiness that I would be fine to go back full time I suddenly came to the rather crushing realization there is just no way I am capable of that. Also seeing the amount of hours Edward would have to spend at nursery written down in black and white made me accept finally that it is not what I want for him. Though I don't want my life to go on hold and get stuck as a stay-at-home-mum I also don't want Edward in nursery from 8.30-6.30 at least three days a week it's just not fair on him. If he was a bit more mobile and capable of occupying himself I wouldn't mind, but at the moment he is just a bit too vulnerable, though I know it works for some people and I'm sure the nursery will take good care of him, that is just a bit too much.

All that said it still really got me down as it made me feel pretty feeble and the prospect of my degree going on for another four years is not one I relish. However rather than moping about I was proactive and booked a meeting with a student adviser. What we hadn't previously realized is that Luke is still entitled to a full student loan and childcare allowance for this year, we thought because he was re-sitting modules from his 2nd year he'd get nothing. It has totally changed the situation as it now means we can afford for me to go part time. We are going to use Luke's loan to pay for my fees and his childcare will cover Edward for the few hours that both of us are at university which hopefully won't be too many in a week. That really cheered me up, but I'm still quite panicky about whether I'm going to cope or not, a worry that has been amplified by the fact I've had to have naps during the day most days in the last week, I'm sure once I'm there I will be fine especially now we've found a way for me to go part time.

Despite that good news today has been a really quite rubbish day, I've been asleep almost as much as Edward and when I have been awake I've been really bored but not really had enough energy to do much about it except trawl through BBC i-player which is my new favorite toy!

Then in the evening I was doing my usual peek through the blogs I follow regularly and on little William's blog his mum mentioned that he had been given a Chemo duck by a charity called Postpals as well as attending a party arranged by them. The duck has undergone various surgeries so that he has the same sorts of tubes and implants as William which I think is a fantastic idea.

Postpals main aim though is to get people to write letters and send little presents to children who are stuck in hospital a lot and having to put up with tons of treatments and generally feeling rubbish, and in a really fantastic move the charity have also set out to support the siblings of the poorly children to make sure they get some attention too which I think is ever so important as far too often they get forgotten about when in some ways it is almost probably harder for them having to watch their brother or sister being ill all the time and having to deal with the worry and lack of attention, I don't think it should ever be underestimated how hard this can be.

I also know how isolating being unwell can be, it's hard to get out and do things and see people, and often you don't really even feel like seeing people as it takes too much energy. I really understood how much these letters could mean to all these people stuck in smelly hospital as I know just how they feel and know how much it can really make your day, or even your week actually just to get one letter or one visit. My darling friend Raj is always excellent at visiting me in hospital and often brings me little things such as muffins or white peaches, and even though they are just little things the thought behind them always touches me so much and I really savour eating them because they are all the more special :o)

It took me a long time to pick who to write to as I could have happily written to all the people on there all their siblings and all their parents. However in the end I chose a girl called Laura as she reminded me that there is always someone in a worse situation than me and that I shouldn't mope about feeling sorry for myself! I wrote a long letter that kept me occupied for ages, I told her a little about Chinese Medicine Theory regarding the role of Kidneys in the body as I thought she may find it interesting I enjoyed thinking about it and even got out my old notes to make sure I got the details right. I hope she likes it and isn't just bored by my inane waffle she sounds like a really awesome young lady :o)

I really urge everyone to go to the Postpals site, choose a person and write a letter or send a card, it won't take much time or cost much money and could put a smile on a very brave little persons face so give it a go :o)

Most of this week Luke and I have sat down together and watched a few episodes of House last thing at night. It is really excellent even if the plot structure is a little predictable. It is actually part of the reason we named Edward what we did as we watched so much of it while I was pregnant and both thought it was so awesome. We liked the name Hugh, which led to us thinking Hugh Laurie, which led to Laurence which is Edward's middle name, it was also one of the names suggested by the highly fantastic Great Aunty Mellie.

The pregnancy and birth coupled with all the long admissions and me feeling tired and grumpy has put something of a strain on our relationship, not in a disastrous way, but enough that we need to put a little more work and effort in on each other, something that is too easy to miss out between all the Edward-fussing and physio. These late night evenings have done a lot to make us feel closer it's been really lovely.

We are planning to go to Salsa classes together, I've looked some up, they sound a bit intimidating but I just have to tell myself that half the people there will be just as rubbish as me, and that no one is going to be laughing at me more than I'm going to be laughing at myself. It looks good fun and pretty sexy and would be a really nice grown-up thing for Luke and I to do together, I also think it will be a good confidence booster which is a major bonus for Luke :o)

In other news Edward was seven months old today!!!!

No comments: